At our kindergarten, children are introduced to essential everyday English as well as the vocabulary and basic grammar needed to continue their English education after finishing kindergarten.
When divided into smaller groups, the younger children will learn basic words and phrases such as: colors, numbers, animals, food, shapes, body parts, and greetings. The older children will review the basics and focus on more advanced topics such as: school objects, toys, clothes, verbs, basic English grammar and questions, time.
Together as one large group, the children will follow the Slovak curriculum, but will learn about each topic in English. The children also learn various things through immersion in the language. They will quickly learn to understand basic commands, they will learn the names for different things they can see around the kindergarten and use on a constant basis.
- We have mastered greetings
- We engage in basic English conversation – how are you, thank you, please, I’m fine
- We have mastered basic instructions – toilet, don’t talk, sleep, don’t do it, eat, wash your face, hands, brush your teeth, sit down, hold each other’s hands, left, right
- We can ask about body parts, objects, colours, numbers naturally, without much thinking
- We can ask for things we need. We make mistakes but the teacher understands us 🙂
- We are not embarrassed to talk and to use what we’ve learned. We use English spontaneously without thinking about it.
- We also learn by means of music.
English teacher only speaks English with the children, which is common everyday concept in our kindergarten. We utilise a technique based on repeating the same phrases daily in the form of commands, in form of everyday natural communication with the children. The natural communication focuses on memory and using new phrases and in different situations. We also take into account whether the child has already encountered English or not. Our teacher has an individual approach to each child according to their knowledge and talent of the language.